This morning my hound went to doggy heaven.
I rescued Bristol from a no-kill group in 2002. She was found on the side of the road in North Georgia. The rescue group had a picture of her posted on the internet in a field of dandelions and her name was Crystal. When I went to pick her up and bring her home, I remember thinking that I couldn’t wait to give her a bath because she smelled like a stinky hound. As most of you know the stinky never went away. She will always be my smelly hound.
In my numerous attempts to wash the stink off Bristol, I was giving her a bath in the shower at Devon’s condo. It was December; I had on my bikini, and some how Bristol escaped from the shower. She ran out of Devon’s condo and down the street, followed by me in my bikini yelling “Bristol!” Devon was behind me yelling, “Sonya! Get inside! I’ll get Bristol!” Devon reminded me this morning that the temperature was close to freezing that day. Needless to say, Devon never really got to know her neighbors.
Bristol was my constant companion. She moved 10 times with me. Each time we moved somewhere she would settle right in and make herself at home. Pre-Jim, Bristol would sleep in my bed and hide in my closet during thunderstorms. It was hilarious seeing a 100lbs hound dog stick her nose through my clothes.
I lived in Tampa for a year before meeting Jim and moving to Orlando. Tampa was a lonely time for me, but Bristol was a good source of company. We would go running together along the water; however, Bristol was not the most agile swimmer. I took her into the ocean one time and both of us nearly drowned. When Bristol’s paws couldn’t touch the bottom any longer she panicked. Her legs were flailing about, and her claws were scratching me, all in a desperate attempt to get to shore. I’m sure the onlookers were preparing to rescue us, but luckily we survived.
Despite Bristol’s big frame she was a sweet hound, and had such a kind disposition. She would lean her entire body against you, look up at you with the sad hound dog eyes, and you couldn’t help but love her. Jim took Bristol to the vet for me this morning. I knew that when I said goodbye to her while she was hanging her head out Jim’s car window, that I was making the right decision. The sad, hound dog eyes, were telling me she was tired. Jim let me know that Bristol was at peace and that she was beautiful. My sweet Jim…we all know Bristol was only beautiful to me. I am going to miss her.
3 comments:
I'm sorry for your loss Sonya! It's definately difficult to loss such a god furry friend!
She will be missed. The good thing is that I think I can still smell her even though she's no longer with us. It's only fitting for her to leave that behind. Thanks for the pic! Love you!
Sonya,
This post made me cry! I know how hard it is to say good-bye to four-legged creatures who have never said a word to us but capture our hearts. Just know that Bristol is doing everything she loves in doggy heaven!
Monica
Post a Comment